Promoting Literacy in Deaf Children
Presented on Friday, 7 December 2007
Lexicon | SignStream
Why are stories important?
- It can be used as a language tool
- It improves communication skills
- It gives a child a sense of identity, and their place in the world
- Involving a child in storytelling can help a child go on to tell stories themselves, enhancing confidence, and self esteem from the act of others watching or listening to them.
- Can help a child identify with characters who may be sharing similar difficult experiences.
- PURE ENJOYMENT!
- In the early days, the technology capable of showing BSL clearly as a visual moving language did not exist.
- Video had to be small and played back with stilted and jerky movements which made it difficult to understand and uncomfortable to watch.
Some of SignStream's Services…
- Translating websites into BSL
- Telling stories in BSL
- Live or on demand webcasting with synchronisedpowerpoint, graphics or animation
- SignStream 'portal' – links to all public media
- Creating stand alone products such as DVDs, CD roms.
Deaf Storytellers – we want you! Why?
Role Model for Deaf children
- Inspire confidence and a sense of Identity.
- Exposure to various styles of signing and cultures
- Show regional variations of BSL
- Help to develop a child's BSL vocabulary & grammatical structure.
- Can assist parents, teachers and members of the family to pick up some signs.
How to contact Lexicon | SignStream…
Address: The Old Coal Wharf, Cropredy, Banbury, Oxon, OX17 1PN
Telephone: 01295 758515
Textphone: 01295 758516
Fax: 01295 758517