Supporting Deaf Pupils with Additional Learning Needs
Presented on Tuesday, 18 January 2011
What do we understand about Autism?
- Autism presents very considerable challenges in audiological assessment
- Evidence that amplification may help to reduce stress
- Sensory over-responsivity – careful use of FM and Soundfield
- Lack of facial tone
- Detailed support will rely on detailed assessment of needs
- Assessments are only useful if they functionally inform practice
- LSA support
- Close home school liaison – flip video may be useful
Last case study
Your own case study
- Consider one deaf child with complex needs
- Write down everything you know about that child
- Reflect - what are the issues that need addressing? Whose goals are the most important?