Enabling Young Deaf People to become Confident Individuals (Promoting Resilience)
Presented on Tuesday 4 June 2009
What is resilience? And how to build it
Professor Angus Skinner
I saw an angel in the stone and carved to set it free
What is resilience?
- To keep going
- To bounce back
- Resilience is for all
- Resilience is for life
We have all been there, it's a shared journey
- Yet how do we come through that journey?
- With how much exuberance?
Three waves of resilience research
- identifying person and variable focused factors that make a difference
- identifying/understanding the operation of these factors within the systems and processes
- intervening to foster resilience
Resilience - a pattern of adaptation in the face of present or past adversity
Searching for ordinary magic
- sense of purpose
- connectedness with others
- life partner
There are no ordinary moments
Hope - having a realisable goal
Efficacy - being present
Och, resilience again! and again!
Optimism - it's natural