Moving on from School: challenges for deaf pupils, their families and professionals
Presented on Wednesday 28 September 2005
From discussion small discussion groups flipcharts
Support on leaving school/provision of access services
- General concerns about existence/level of appropriate support
- Gap between school and college/employment services
- Quality of support is very important
- Why are access services (BSL/English interpreters/notetakers/lipspeakers, etc) not accepted as the norm in schools? (political? financial?)
- Below-16 educational system influences future education of child (ie signing/oral). Does this depend on political fashion - or where you live?
- There needs to be a co-ordinated approach to information.
- Standardisation is needed
- Importance of Careers Officer and Careers Scotland website
Work experience placements
- Placements are important
- 1 week not enough – need to be continual
- Placements can also build up confidence of employers – may make a difference to the possibility of future employment
- More involvement in Saturday jobs, etc – improve confidence
In FE/HE institutions
- Need more funding to train people in FE and HE
- CNeed for more preparations by colleges for students with additional needs.
- Need for more days like today
- Exchange of info needed!