Common Causes of Visual Loss in Children
Presented on Friday 15 May 2009
Using the VI Scotland database we identified the most common causes of visual loss in children living in Scotland. Before a discussion of the medical and clinical features of each condition an overview was provided of how the eye and brain work together to create vision. The day included a description of the structures and function of the eyes and brain in addition to the processing pathways that exist to process different types of visual information.
An informal question and answer session then completed the day. This course was targeted at delegates with basic or limited knowledge of vision such as parents, carers, therapists and teachers but less suited to eye care professionals.
Presenter: Dr Jennifer Skillen, Manager of VI Scotland and
Dr Andrew Blaikie, Consultant Ophthalmologist NHS Fife
- 10.30 am Ocular causes of Visual Impairment Andrew Blaikie
- 11.30 am Brain Causes of Visual Impairment Andrew Blaikie
- 1.30 pm Introduction to the Visual Pathway Jennifer Skillen
- 2.45 pm Overview of statistics from VI Scotland database Jennifer Skillen
- 3.30 pm Visual challenges and strategies Jennifer Skillen
- 3.45 pm Course Evaluation and close
10.20 am Introduction to the Day Jennifer Skillen