University of Edinburgh

VIScotland Parent Guide to Mainstream Visual Impairment Education

How will I be involved in the planning process?

Throughout your child's attendance at school, you will be involved in some way with the future planning of your child's education. From attendance at Parents' Nights to formal Review meetings; if your child has a visual impairment then careful consideration of his special educational needs is necessary on a regular basis. To enable you to participate fully in this decision-making process you must be prepared to work in partnership with the professionals to guarantee the effective and efficient delivery of services for your child.

We would encourage all parents to be as prepared as possible when attending planning meetings. You may wish to consider the following;

  • Be well-informed - about your child's visual impairment and how this will affect his learning; about your child's educational provision and possible alternatives.
  • Know about you and your child's rights.
  • Ask as many questions as possible - You could perhaps make a list beforehand, so that you don't forget anything important.
  • Be organised - read any previous correspondence, assessment reports, relevant information before any
  • Feel free to air your concerns, in a calm, polite and patient manner - but be persistent if necessary, to ensure that your views are taken seriously.
  • Be organised - read any previous correspondence, assessment reports, relevant information before any meeting. Request that decisions taken at the meeting be recorded, so that you can refer to them at a later date, if necessary.


If you are dissatisfied with the level of support your child is receiving or you are unhappy about any aspect of your child's educational experience then you should complain through your local education department's official complaints procedure.

If you have done this and are still unhappy about the outcome, then your next point of contact should be the Local Government Ombudsman who will conduct an independent investigation into your complaint (the address is available from your local Council).