Aiming higher for deaf students - What works? What could work?
Date: Saturday, 24th June 2017
Venue: University of Edinburgh, School of Education, EH8 8AQ
Time: 10 am - 5 pm
This one-day conference held in the heart of Edinburgh will be full of current ideas in deaf education on the theme of raising achievement. Our keynote speakers are Professor Greg Leigh, a notable international researcher about deaf children's achievements and curriculum access, and Dr. Audrey Cameron, leader of the Scottish Sensory Centre's own British Sign Language Glossary project of curriculum terms for science/maths topics.
We have now received an exciting range of proposals for papers, workshops and posters from all over the world: the UK, Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Greece and Hong Kong. Register today to make sure you get a place. (Numbers are limited to 200 places.)
- Raising achievement (academic and other outcomes of education)
- Access to curriculum and assessment for deaf learners
- Citizenship for deaf students - involvement in decision making
- Creativity and raising achievement with deaf learners
This conference is for the whole of the UK and beyond - we are expecting international researchers to attend. The conference will offer you:
- an opportunity to network with colleagues and researchers in a relaxed atmosphere
- an exhibition and posters to find out about current deaf education practices and issues
- the opportunity to see world-class presenters
- a chance to visit the historic city of Edinburgh and maybe stay for the weekend
- a fully accessible conference for deaf and hearing delegates
Accommodation not included.
Putting in an abstract to present
Would you like to present a 20 minute paper at the conference about some research you have been involved with recently, or about a project you would like to share with delegates? Abstracts can be submitted in English or BSL.
The abstracts will be peer reviewed by the Scientific Committee and you will be informed about whether your paper or poster proposal has been accepted by 21st April:
- Submit a Paper
Scientific committee: Frankie McLean, Rachel O'Neill, Dr Marian Grimes, Dr Ben Matthews, Alison Buchan, Prof John Ravenscroft.
Deadline for abstracts: 8th April 2017
Draft programme available from: Friday, 28th April 2017
Key note speakers confirmed:
BSL/English interpreters and electronic notetakers will be provided.
We welcome anyone working in education with deaf children/students at whatever level, d/Deaf people, parents too.