About the Society
The Mission of this Society is to promote physical activity, sport, and recreation, for individuals who are visually impaired, blind or deafblind throughout their lifetime. We will do this through conferences, providing seminars and on our web site by sharing research, videos, books, and equipment resources.
To help promote each member of society with sensory impairments to meet their full potential.
Any professional, family member, or consumer in the field who believes in the promotion of physical activity for individuals with sensory Impairments across the lifespan. This also includes individuals with multiple or severe disabilities.
The society will promote research, programming, grants development, education, professional preparation in physical activity, physical education, sports, recreation, motor development, and aquatics.
To share research, videos, equipment, books, grant opportunities, conferences, awards, conduct seminars throughout the world, and information.
This society was formed as a result of the International Symposium held in 2019 which was organised by Lauren Lieberman, Pam Haibach-Beach and Melanie Perreault (Institute of Movement Studies for Individuals with Visual Impairments College at Brockport, SUNY) and John Ravenscroft (Scottish Sensory Centre, University of Edinburgh).
The Inaugural Symposium on Physical Activity and Individuals with Visual Impairments or Deafblindness took place at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland on Thursday, 9th - Sunday, 12th May 2019
- Lauren Lieberman PhD and Pam Haibach-Beach PhD, Institute of Movement Studies for Individuals with Visual Impairments, Brockport, NY;
- Judit Gombas PhD, ELTE Barczi Gusztav Faculty of Special Education, Budapest
- ... and many more
Erik Weihenmayer, Adventurer and author of several books including Touch the top of the world joined us for a Q&A session about his solo expedition kayaking the Grand Canyon and the No Barriers movement.
Thursday, 9th May 2019
- 3.30pm - 5pm Pre-conference Session
- 6pm Registration and Evening reception hosted by Prof John Ravenscroft
- Introduction to key themes Presentation by Pamela Haibach-Beach
Friday, 10th May 2019
- Keynote with Lauren Leiberman
- Q&A with Erik Weihenmayer
- Poster session
- Plus Practical and Research presentations
Saturday, 11th May 2019
- Keynote with Judit Gombas
- Keynote with Pam Haibach-Beach
- Dinner & Social event
Sunday, 12th May 2019
- Closing address with John Ravenscroft
The Scientific Committee welcomed proposals for research, practical sessions and posters to be presented at the conference. The themes were:
- Physical Activity
- Motor Development
- Physical Education
Age ranges: Preschool to Adult
The conference was held at John McIntyre Conference Centre, Pollock Halls in Edinburgh
18 Holyrood Park Road