Early years @ SSC
Activities & Leisure
The Visual Impairment Early Years group has created a simple leaflet aimed at nurseries, groups and clubs who would like to be more inclusive to young children with Visual Impairment. Please download and print or order copies from SSC.
Signposting for useful resources relating to activities & leisure for children with visual impairments.
- Messy and Muddy - a guide to outdoor play for children with vision impairment - RNIB
- Play Scotland: Inclusive Play
- VINCYP Patients and Parents groups by region
Signposting for useful resources relating to literacy for children with visual impairments.
- Scottish Book Trust Bookbug videos (via Visibility) Twinkle, Twinkle | Cross, Cross, Line, Line
- Seedlings books
- Books by Matthew Van Fleet good for textures
- Paths to literacy: Emergent Literacy | Early Childhood
- ClearVision Project
- Living Paintings
- Videos by Lorna Hall on ideas for creating and presenting simple sensory stories
- Lorna's Treasure boxes
Online and DVD resources on Play with your child who is deaf or with a visual impairment.
There is currently one working group looking at Early years education for children who are visually impaired.
Previous working groups have looked at the issues facing parents of young children who are deaf and young children who are visually impaired. The Centre has produced a play DVD and a 'working together' document for families and professions involved with deaf children and a "Let Me Play" DVD for families with children who are visually impaired.